Sunday 2 July 2017

Canals and county town

This morning Sue and Paul dropped me off back at Milnthorpe, and straight into some back roads down to Lancaster. This is what I love about England, within 5 minutes I was riding in front of Dallam Tower and its herd of (?) roe deer, then through villages of grey stone called Slack Head, Yealand Storrs, Yealand Redmayne and Yealand Conyers, then Nether Kellett and a sign to its companion Upper Kellett. Later a pub called the Shovel Inn - they didn't say but surely they welcome big eaters...
At Carnforth I sat on a handy garden bench on a corner to have a drink and watch classic cars chug by and up the hill to a rally. The bench owner had set it out specially for some visitors but once we'd sorted out that little difficulty we watched a stream of identifiable and unknowns roar or puff by - Moggy Minors of course, an A40, a Morgan, an Austin Healey (a 3000 I thought), some three-wheelers and lots more.
Later I rolled in to Lancaster for morning tea and cake. One of the pics if James has them uploaded should show a domed building in the background which you may recognise from trips up the M6 rising above the trees on the left around J34 or so.
Next came a stretch of the Lancaster Canal, but the towpath was bumpy and both uncomfortable and slow, so I reverted to the A6 for a while, not too bad on a Sunday. The sun came out and I stopped at a convenient point for sandwiches lovingly provided by Sue who was enjoying a visit to a National Trust property, Rufford Old Hall. Later I reached Preston, not much to report there, but an extensive country park and then the Leeds and Liverpool Canal provided an attractive and traffic-free ride, apart from Sunday strollers that is, in the fine afternoon sun. So with relatively slow progress I eventually abandoned the canal and hot-footed it into Wigan (even less to be said, just glum faces drowning their sorrows after some sporting event) where Sue was patiently waiting to drive back to our castle home. Takeaway pizza from the pub at the bottom of our drive, and supposedly an early night to get me down to Wigan again for tomorrow's journey to Wem (me neither, first time for everything, I think it's in Herefordshire).
Our home for two nights in Hornby

The old Tramway near Preston

Lancaster Canal

Leeds and Liverpool Canal


River Lune at Lancaster

Deer at Dalham Tower, nr Milnthorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment